Sunday, January 2, 2011

Did I say if all else fails?

We made it. We made it physically and mentally in one piece. And to think I almost decided to admit myself to the psych ward over this trip the morning of!

The story goes like this...

Thursday night I slept none to well. But I woke up Friday morning on time, packed, and ready to go. As we neared the highway, I started to feel uneasy. I started my breathing pattern that helps me calm down. It wasn't working the way it usually does. Steven saw my discomfort and asked if I was alright. I told him I was panicky. He asked if he could do anything and I said no. We were going to meet up with some friends along the highway to caravan and they were running a little late. We pulled into Sonic to kill some time. I told Steven to find a bathroom quick cause my stomach was upset. McDonald's was our stop this time. After that detour, just as we were getting on the highway, Davie starts to cry. Then she starts puking . . . a LOT. She won't stop!

This sealed the deal in my mind. Davie and I would just stay home, and wish Steven the best on his trip. We decided to stop at Steven's parents house in Mustang to wash up and make sure Davie was done with her vomiting. We gave her a bath, did laundry, washed the car seat. I laid down on one of the beds and told Steven through teary eyes that Davie and I were going to stay. He should go ahead and meet up with his friends. He plainly said "No way. If you aren't going, I'm not going." This wasn't an option for me. I would not ruin Steven's birthday trip. He walked me through all the ways he would make sure I was comfortable. Then he tucked me in and let me take a nice little nap while our things dried.

I woke up feeling a little better. Steven's mom made me some hot Jasmine tea, and we started off again . . . 4 hours from when we left our house. Davie fell right to sleep once we got in the car. I read aloud to Steven from my budding, if not stunted, novel. Before I knew it we were in Amarillo meeting up with our friends from Cali - Brooke and Jarod.

Once we got back in the car, Davie spent most of her time watching Dora the Explorer on the DVD player. I drove, and Steven read. Albuquerque brought another switch of drivers and Davie's sleep until Gallup, NM. There was a bit of rough roads coming into Gallup, but we made it safely to the hotel. I have never experienced real live negative temperatures. It was -8 the next morning! We stayed up til midnight for New Year's Eve, kissed our families, and promptly fell asleep.

Davie woke up the next morning feeling very talkative and singing "Davie HAPPY!!!" over and over again. Steven sacrificed sleeping in for the rest of us, and took her down to breakfast for an hour or so.

The next day was fairly uneventful. We were afraid Brooke and Jarod's car was overheating within the first 15 minutes of leaving the hotel, but after a little rest and refill of coolant, it was fine. More Dora. Lunch in Flagstaff and a little walk around the mall. We forego-ed a detour to the Grand Canyon, and Davie slept most of the way to Vegas.

We are staying with a mutual climbing friend. He has a nice big house and Davie and I decided to stay in this morning to grow accustomed to our new home for the next 7 or so days. Steven will be back in time for us to figure out dinner.

It's going to be a good week. I haven't really felt anxious since we left. I think this is mostly thanks to Steven Glen Charles and knowing that we have options, and there is no big agenda here. Just relax, climb, have fun, enjoy each other. I am excited that we are all together for such a long time! I can't believe I almost demanded to stay home. What a crazy!

No comments: