Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. I have never truly participated in Lent. In college it became a sort of trendy thing to do. So I'd give up ice cream (easy enough for me). Or I'd give up fast food (extremely hard, but benefits my pocket book). But this will be the first year that I'm trying to really experience Lenten season.

On Monday I attended a meeting extended to all OKC artists to experience the season of Lent and respond in their own art form. At first I was only interested in the art part of it, writing a song out of the experience. I've been in a somewhat "questioning" state for some time spiritually. I still am . . . but that doesn't mean I can't have a truly enlightening experience out of this.

I had the stirring thought that this year I needed to give up something that would not be easy and that would not otherwise benefit my life. I didn't want it to just be a little motivation to start living a healthier life, etc. At the meeting I had decided that I would give up make-up for Lent. But then I got home and washed off my war paint. Oy. The squeaky clean face had not seen the public eye since before puberty. That wouldn't do.

But it was the most vulnerable I could be. I am still trying to figure out ways to make this natural look work for me. Sunless tanner on my face. Shiny chapstick. I'm afraid I'm not one of those girls who looks basically the same with or without makeup. My eyes need a little definition for me to not look super sleepy. But this is the path I have chosen.

I may have to take a little break for a wedding . . . out of consideration for the formality of the event.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Oooh...make up. Now THAT'S a good one. I'm taking a little break from Facebook and am embarrassed at how painful it is for me to step away from that!