Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patty's/Tumorless Tuesday on a Thursday/Happy BADNAP Week

It's Saint Patrick's Day. I don't really know anything about St. Patrick, so I don't care so much about his day. But I'm wearing green anyways.

It is also Tumorless Tuesday (on a Thursday). Two years ago, I was on a field trip with my 4th graders at the Cowboy Museum. While perusing the gift shop, I checked the messages on my phone. My best friend Lisa had called twice. Actually it was her husband Justin calling from her phone. The first message was to let me know they went to the emergency room because Lisa was having some numbness and other weird symptoms, he said the doctor said it was probably just a bad migraine. Phew. The second message was to let me know they had found a shadow that was most likely a tumor in her brain. Commence world falling apart. Luckily a teacher friend nearby hurried me outside dodging students right and left so I could sob in peace. That same teacher friend called my principal to let her know that my husband was coming to pick me up to take me to the hospital. Steven showed up with Davie who was around 8 months old, and we rushed to the hospital. I walked in the room and crawled into the hospital bed by my friend. Neither of us really knew what to say, so we just laid there, holding hands. The next couple of weeks was just waiting in agony and wishing we could do something. Then on March 17th, the day before her and her husband's birthday, they successfully removed the tumor with no ill side effects. She couldn't drive for a long time after because she was on seizure medication, and she had to have checks every few months to make sure the tumor was still gone. But after a year, there was still no sign of it, and the doctor gave her the go ahead to try and have a baby. So around 9 months ago, they gave birth to a teeny tiny beauty named Layla. I would be awfully lonely without Lisa in this world. I am so thankful that she is healthy and has a healthy family. Happy Tumorless Tuesday!

The other news is, I got into the BADNAP program (I honestly don't know what that stands for, but it is the nursing program I applied for). Remember how I was stressed about not getting a notice for the letter. Well it was actually stuck to the inside of the mailbox where you can't see. Haha. Anyways, I am so happy I got in.

2 comments:

Paige @ The Crunchy Mamacita said...

Yay! That's great that you got in!

Unknown said...

i love you...and i had to type the word stiong as my word verification.