Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Intrauterine Hell

Today I got my IUD inserted.  Yikesers!  It was a hellacious experience.  

You would think (as I did) that after having a 7 pound baby naturally, that having a teeny tiny device placed in my uterus would be like a slap on the wrist.  Well, it was like being slapped on the wrist with an electrifying cat-of-nine-tails.  

It turns out my uterus was tilted toward my back so they couldn't get it to measure the required measurement.  I laid on the table for nearly 30 minutes while they poked and prodded and I cramped and cringed.  I was SO CLOSE to saying, "Nevermind.  Just write me a prescription for oral contraceptives!"  It was really painful.  Finally, they got another doctor, and he got it in - THAT WAS A DOOZIE.  Afterwards, I sat up and felt lightheaded, so they made me lie back down and eat some crackers and juice.  So then I had to lay there 15 more minutes.

I felt crampy and terrible for a few hours.  Currently, I'm doing okay . . .  but that could be because I overdosed on Ibuprofen.  I plan on staying "doped up".  

At least with childbirth, I was distracted by a million things (and I had adrenaline on my side).  

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh, girl...you have me cringing just reading about it! I think I'll stick with my easy breezy NuvaRing!

becca said...

You always have good stories and even if they are of something not so fun you still don't sound whiney. So yay for your storytelling abilities!

I miss Davie. Can I come see her and you soon? Okay, thanks:)

Melinda said...

You poor girl! Mine wasn't nearly as traumatic! My m.i.l. was babysitting and when I called to tell her I was on my way home she almost insisted on coming to pick me up because she didn't think I would be able to drive home. :)

becca said...

Okay,your comment was sweet. Seriously thank you! :)

You and steven and davie can live in our massive seattle digs with us! If we move there at all. You remind me alot of this teacher I have been super privelidged to work with for the past month. She's just like super teacher.

Emery Jo said...

GAK. that's AWFUL. I'd rather push a baby out ANYDAY.

hehe.